Family Law

Family Law (property & parenting)

Family Lawyers

Property Settlement

One important question to be determined by partners or spouses when they separate is “How do we separate our property?”

It may be helpful for separated parties to attend counselling on their own or with their partner before contemplating a division of property. There are a number of services such as the Family Relationships Centre who provide family dispute resolution, mediation and counselling services for issues relating to Children.

It is important to bear in mind that where real property is involved, it is essential that the parties have Court sealed Consent Orders or a Binding Financial Agreement in order to claim an exemption from stamp duty in the State of New South Wales.

In the case of de facto partners, if an agreement cannot be reached than they may have recourse to either the State Courts or the Family Law Courts, depending on when the partners separated.

In the case of married spouses, they should:

  1. Endeavour to divide their property by agreement between themselves;
  2. Engage a Solicitor to write to the other party first to participate in mediation/family dispute resolution;
  3. Make an offer;
  4. If all else fails – commence legal proceedings.

Of course the above recommended steps may be departed from in urgent situations.

So if you are looking for Family Lawyers in the Camden or Campbelltown areas, then call Frontier Law now on (02) 4655-3100